I made the mistake of trying hagelslag (chocolate sprinkles) the other morning...they put them on bread here. At home I hated sprinkles because they were dry and just gross to me, although I don't think anyone would put them on bread! It's really popular to have a piece of bread, spread some butter and then put the chocolate hagelslag on the bread too. When I first got here I thought I would never try it because 1. sprinkles are gross and 2. sprinkles on bread is not supposed to happen but alas I gave in. And it was awesome! I was so surprised to realize how much I actually liked it and now sadly that is just one more dessert like thing that I will now want to eat.
I don't think there will ever be a day where I try the "American" filet...spreadable meat is not something I am interested in. I really wish I knew why it is called American because I think it is as far from American as you can get. Definitely need to do some research and figure this one out...This is what I've found:" In Belgium and The Netherlands steak tartare is known as filet américain (translated as American fillet). Steak tartare is a meat dish made from finely chopped or minced raw beef[1]. Tartare can also be made by thinly slicing a high grade of meat such as strip steak, marinating it in wine or other spirits, spicing it to taste, and then chilling it. It is often served with onions, capers and seasonings (the latter typically incorporating fresh ground pepper and Worcestershire sauce), sometimes with a raw egg, and often on rye bread."
Most things I've read seem to point to the fact that people think Americans will eat any kind of red meat. Interesting but I don't think I know any Americans that would want to try this.
Well other than all this food talk, this week the kids were on vacation. It is their fall break. It's definitely starting to get cold here too! :( At night it is really cold and I need to wear gloves usually on my bike because my hands get so cold. There has been a lot of wind too. The wind one day reminded me of how when I first got here I was so uneasy on my bike and a strong gust of wind blew me over, now I don't think that would happen to me although the wind is pretty strong sometimes.
It's getting close to Halloween too and I haven't seen any decorations! I feel so uncollege/unAmerican like because it's a week before Halloween and I don't have a costume, nothing is decorated. It's really sad, I miss Halloween a lot. I think I will still dress up for it though, one of my friends is having a Halloween party and there are a lot of pubs that have their own too. Halloween here just is not quite as big as at home. No pumpkin carving, apple picking, pumpkin flavored coffee/lattes, and no hay rides or anything haunted!!! I really really wish I could go on a haunted hay ride or a corn maze or in a haunted house. Well that's all for now.
No comments:
Post a Comment